The Javett Art Centre at the University of Pretoria, home of the art of Africa.
On Heritage Day, 24 September 2019, the Javett-UP opened with four ground-breaking exhibitions: a collection of 101 signature works of South African art selected from collections around the country; the Javett Family Collection of South African modern art, an exhibition of significant gold pieces from the Mapungubwe Gold Collection, and AngloGold's Barbier-Mueller Collection of more than 350 items of gold from West Africa.
The Javett-UP is open from 10am to 5pm daily.
|* Under 18:||R50|
|* Under 6:||Free|
|* UP Staff:||Free entry for UP staff on presentation of a valid UP staff card|
|* University students:||Free with a valid student card|
|* South African Museums Association / SAMA members||Free entry on presentation of a valid membership card|
|* ICOM members||Free entry on presentation of a valid membership card|
|* School Tours:||R25 per learner and R25 per teacher|
- Guided tours must be booked at least 48hrs in advance.
- Tour groups should include at least 10 people.
- Contact email@example.com for bookings
- General enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free entrance days:
- Human Rights Day 21 March 2020
- Good Friday 10 April 2020
- Family Day 13 April 2020
- Freedom Day 27 April 2020
- Worker’s Day 1 May 2020
- International Museum Day 18 May 2020
- Youth Day 16 June 2020
- Women’s Day 10 August 2020
- Heritage Day 24 September 2020
- Day of Reconciliation 16 December 2020
My Africa. Our Art.
A journey through the great art of Africa is deeply personal, but it is a journey that must be taken. Art touches us in ways that are difficult to articulate. It takes in the full range of surprise, delight, shock, revelation, anger, joy and hope. It’s a journey of the soul that will inspire you to explore your own creativity, culture, spirituality and identity. It will bring you to a deeper understanding of who you are. It is sometimes uncomfortable, but it is always rewarding.
Each of us is shaped by where we live, and by the people around us. Who you are today is a product of history and cultural heritage as much as it is a product of right here, right now. Artists understand this. Art helps the rest of us make sense of this, too.
* Please note that this live webcam feed refreshes every 30 seconds.